Just catching up after the “Lamb Jars”, [ note to self; have to get on top of this blogging stuff].
Preparing artwork for the spinning event leaked over into the creative project I was working on at the time (and still am, mixed with new stuff 🙂 )
Nursery Rhyme Matchboxes.
I found a watercolour illustration in a vintage farmyard book. I loved the row of different breeds and just thought it would work so well as an image on the accordion book.
So I redrew a similar “usual suspects” line-up in ink, to go underneath the text, and just tinted it a bit with pencils.
The original thought was to pop in a mini plush lamb so I did still want to put some needle work into it. (I will still do one with the lambkin sometime, ‘cause he’s cute.)
I used some of the wool we had for spinning at the event to fill three bags and make a thread, and a ball of wool. The ball of wool has cocktail sticks and fimo “needles” in it. I accidentally slightly overcooked them – oops, but now I like it because they look more like bamboo ones.
It is probably a bit much to stuff in a matchbox; but it does fit, just, and opens out nicely- so I am pleased with it.
I made a group of matchboxes in scenic colours with my hand dyed scraps of cotton, so I’ve some more for variations when I get around to it.